Tying Trout Flies

When I lived in Pocatello I met Dave; a fly fisherman who above all anglers I've ever met deserves the title "avid". He showed me how to tie his favorite weapon for the salmonfly hatch: The Arnold Stone.


Because it's really just a bulked-up version of a regular stonefly pattern, he named it after the famous bulked-up body builder turned actor and governor. Personally, I would have chosen a different name, but since he created it, it's not mine to change. I gotta give credit where credit is due.

In June a good friend of mine is going to fish the salmonfly hatch in Idaho. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. Talking to him has got me thinking about tying trout flies again. I love tying flies. Making them is often as much fun as fishing them. Here are some photos from when I learned to tie Dave's fly. The hackle should be longer, the elk-hair wing should extend over the body farther, and I should have added more crystal flash, but give me a break - it was the first time I ever tried it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe
Thread: Orange 6/0.
Tail: A clump of black antron dubbing to resemble an egg sack.
Abdomen: Orange and black ice dubbing, segmented, & grizzly hackle.
Wing: Green crystal flash, violet CDC tuft, & elk hair.
Legs: Brown or black rubber legs, knotted.
Thorax: Orange ice dubbing & grizzly hackle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Another favorite salmonfly I use, often when I find I'm too early or too late for the hatch, is a salmonfly nymph. It only takes a week or so for them to hatch into adults, mate, lay eggs, and die; but before that they live in a nymphal stage for up to four years underwater, so the trout are very familiar with them.


I made this one up so I get to name it. Any ideas? Here's how it's tied:


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe
Thread: Black 6/0.
Tail and Antennae: Black goose biots.
Abdomen: Lead wire, filler, black antron dubbing, black D-rib.
Wing Case: Black swiss straw.
Legs: Black flex floss.
Thorax: Black antron dubbing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Jake said...

You are an artist!