The Pain of Private Land

For someone like me, relatively new to turkey hunting, and brand new to the state of Nebraska, shooting a turkey here this year would be an accomplishment well worth my limited hunting time.

(can you hear 'em gobbling?)

I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm frustrated, and I need somewhere to vent, so here it comes. The problem so far has not been the lack of turkeys, but the lack of turkey-filled land on which I have permission to hunt. Finding birds is one thing, but getting close to them (legally) is quite another. Back home hunting is not who you know, but how hard you're willing to work for it. Here you can work as hard as you want, right up until you see this:


Maybe I'm just bummed because this morning my buddies and I got so close, but were again held back by that bothersome barbed wire. Ok I'm over it.

Here are a couple more random turkey clips. And just for fun, in the second video I threw in some footage of a little buck with this year's antlers just starting to grow.



You can almost feel my friend's frustration as he sits in the grass, looking out through the barbed wire (he's the thing that looks like a stump). Unlike us law-bound predators, the turkeys are free to cross the fences; trying to talk them into it, though, is a daunting challenge, especially for someone as inexperienced as I am with Nebraska's wildfowl. Hopefully a future post will include a picture of me sitting behind a big turkey tail fan. I've learned one thing though, meat or no meat, I LOVE time spent chasing them. I'm a turkey hunting addict.

No comments: