Global Positioning System

I turned twenty nine last Thursday and my wonderful wife bought me a GPS for my birthday.


I can't believe how I ever hunted or fished without one. For example, two days ago I found myself lost in a blanket of fog while driving to my hunting grounds. All of Nebraska looks the same, especially under heavy fog before sunrise, and I would have missed my turn off the highway onto the dirt road if not for the beep of the GPS warning me I was near. Again it saved me while walking into my treestand. If not for my GPS I would never have found my tree.

I took it with me to a corn maze and it saved us. Whenever we came to a fork in the maze I was able to say with certainty, "We've been right, let's go left," because the GPS showed it.

I have also spent some time using it for geocaching with a friend of mine here in Lincoln. The last thing I need is another hobby, but I could definitely see myself getting more into it. Rudy and I were out the other day looking for a geocache (and a place to hunt pheasants) when Rudy suddenly stopped, lifted his nose into the air and started acting very confused. He looked up at me from the tall grass with such fear in his eyes, so I said aloud, "What's wrong?" At the sound of my voice a coyote, only fifteen yards from where my pup stood, sprung from his hiding place in the grass and was gone.


I figure the coyote saw something coming through the grass (which is much taller than my little dog) and thought it might be his next meal. He couldn't see me because I was twenty yards behind a brush pile. I wish I had brought my gun.

Whether for hunting, corn mazes, or geocaching, I plan on never going without a GPS again.

No comments: