Nebraska's Spring Woods

This time of year Nebraska gobblers are out strutting their stuff, hoping to impress the hens whose sides they never leave.

This morning they weren't calling much, and I was lucky that I spotted them before they spotted me. I crept in as close as I dared, set up two decoys, and started calling softly. They gobbled every time I hen-yelped and they eyed my decoys up and down, but I guess my plastic birds just don't compare to the real thing cause they never came.

It's still early in the archery season, and most of the hens have yet to be bred. Trying to coax a gobbler into leaving his ladies is just about impossible. I finally gave up and turned to Plan B: sneak within bow range. I got pretty close too, until this young doe walked up and ruined things.



I don't think she had any idea what I was at first. Still, she bounced off waving the white tail of warning, and the turkeys grew nervous. Though I followed them a little, I never could get close enough for a shot; and eventually left, not wanting to spook them completely out of the woods. The rest of the morning was filled with photos.


Since it is Spring, the bird-nerd blood in me is running thick, so here are a few species you don't find in Utah or Idaho that I spotted this morning.

Northern Cardinal

Winter Wren

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Harris's Sparrow

3 comments:

Christina said...

Dan, I'm serious when I get my bow out here we need to go!

-Jesse

Dan said...

I would love that. I wish you could get your bow out here before the season ends. Or at least a shotgun. Turkey season for both weapons closes at the end of May. School closes at the beginning of May. We gotta find something to fill our free time.

Chris said...

Darn educated Tom's and their decoy hating ways. If your on heavily hunted public land in a state without much you're better off leaving the decoys in the truck.